Researched and Written By

Researched and Written By Aaron Saunders

Friday, September 3, 2010

From the Deck Chair Turns One

 From the Deck Chair, as seen aboard
Holland America Line's Zuiderdam.
Photo © Aaron Saunders

One year ago today, From the Deck Chair was officially born, ushered in with an article about Azamara's Icelandic itineraries.

I started From the Deck Chair, first and foremost, because I love cruising.  It's the most spectacular type of vacation you can take, hands-down.  To make the deal even sweeter, there's a seemingly endless supply of ships, lines, destinations and itineraries to suit even the most discerning tastes.  Want to have a great time in a variety of sun-soaked ports?  The "Fun Ships" of Carnival might be right for you.  Looking for something more discerning?  Why not try a voyage aboard the intimate, upscale ships of Silversea.

January: aboard Mariner of the Seas in Mexico.
Photo © 2010 Aaron Saunders

I'm endlessly fascinated by cruise ships, right down to the placement of the door handles.  When I see a ship docked in any port of the world, I want to jump onboard and see what her interiors look like.  A ship has a personality as much as any human.  Ask any crew member: he or she will tell you, without reservation, what the heartbeat of their vessel sounds like.

Speaking of the crew: how they can manage to make you feel like a welcomed old friend in the span of a few seconds, I'll never know.  I've had the privilege of meeting and getting to know many crew members during the twelve years I've been cruising, but one gentleman in particular stands out.  I won't mention his name, but he's a very well respected Hotel Manager in the industry, and a good friend.  His wealth of knowledge amazes me, and serves as the gold standard I strive to hold myself to.

May: sailing the coast of Vancouver Island aboard
the newly-refurbished Rotterdam.
Photo © 2010 Aaron Saunders

Surprisingly, From the Deck Chair isn't my day job.  Rather, it's an outlet for me to put my "useless knowledge" to work for me, and hopefully spare my family, friends, and co-workers some of my incessant ramblings in the process.  I usually spend one to two hours per day writing the articles that appear here.  Each has to be fact-checked, laid out, and have photographs added before they can be published.

 June: touring the magnificent Silver Shadow.
Photo © 2010 Aaron Saunders

So what do I do for a living?  Well, I work as an Offline Editor in the animation industry in Vancouver - an interesting career choice given that I can't draw.  But my work involves taking the animation of talented people who can draw and weaving it into the finished product you see on TV.  A hefty 15-page Non-Disclosure agreement prevents me from saying exactly what I work on from day to day, but chances are if you have a daughter between six and twelve next year, she'll see the show we're currently producing.

Throughout this entire process - of working during the day only to come home and work some more at night - my family, friends, and my fiancee have been particularly supportive.  Indeed, I couldn't have done any of this without their encouragement.

 July: aboard Celebrity Summit, docked in Portland, Maine.
Photo © 2010 Aaron Saunders

Then there's the people I've met over the last year, both shipboard and shoreside.  I owe a great deal of thanks to Erik and Rebecca at Holland America Line; Cindy at Hapag-Lloyd Cruises; Amanda at NCL; Karen at Princess and Brad and Gina at Silversea.

Since that day one year ago, the blog has grown and expanded in ways I could only have dreamed about. 

I can't wait to see where we are next year.  I hope you'll join me for the ride; it's never been a better time to be a cruiser.

Sunset in Cozumel, Mexico from aboard
Grandeur of the Seas.
Photo © Aaron Saunders

0 comments:

Post a Comment