Researched and Written By

Researched and Written By Aaron Saunders

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sunrise, Sunset

I had a tough time coming up with a blog for today.  Truth be told, I spent a lot of time searching my photo-library, looking for a shot that would inspire me to write something. 

Then I found it: one of the best things for me on a cruise are the sunrises and sunsets. 

I usually get up ridiculously early so I can catch the sunrise - it's usually breathtaking, and there's something quiet and peaceful about the ship before everyone else is up and milling about - not to mention the lines at the buffet are far, far better.  So I usually grab a coffee and wander out on deck to enjoy the show. 

Sunset is just as impressive.  On a cloudless day, the setting sun turns the gleaming-white superstructure of the cruise ship a soft orange color.  Everything sparkles - polished wooden railings, steel bulkheads, even the lifeboats take on a lustrous sheen.  There's nothing else quite like it - certainly nothing on land.  If you're lucky, and conditions permit, you may actually see a 'green flash' as the sun dips below the horizon and the sea. 

So here on From The Deck Chair, to wrap up the week, I present some of my favorite shots.  Just looking at them makes me want to hop aboard a cruise ship again right now; I hope it does likewise for you.

Sunrise in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
as seen from the Golden Princess.
Photo © Aaron Saunders

The sun rises on a beautiful January day
aboard Mariner of the Seas in the Pacific.
Photo © Aaron Saunders

 Independence of the Seas in the morning
light of Cozumel, Mexico.
Photo © Aaron Saunders

Setting sun shines onto the atrium of the Oosterdam.
Photo © Aaron Saunders

  Norwegian Pearl's promenade deck glows yellow.
Photo © Aaron Saunders

The last moments of the sun off Akureyri, Iceland
as seen from the Crown Princess.
Photo © Aaron Saunders

 Night at Northern latitudes: leaving Geiranger, Norway
bound for Alesund aboard Crown Princess.
Photo © Aaron Saunders

From the Deck Chair will return Tuesday, June 29th.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment