Researched and Written By

Researched and Written By Aaron Saunders

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Silver Spirit Day 2 - St. George's, Part II


The beautiful Silver Spirit tied up in St. George's, Grenada.
Photo © 2010 Aaron Saunders 

This morning, Silver Spirit tied up alongside the pier in St. George’s, Grenada (pronounced gre-nay-dah).  Neither I nor my fiancée Kim have ever been here, and it didn’t take long for the natural beauty of this little island just north of the equator to make an enormous impression. 

We decided to take in the sights and booked the Seven Sisters Waterfall Trekking excursion available through Silversea.  At $59 per person, we thought the price seemed very reasonable and we were excited to see and swim in the falls.

I’ll be honest: I almost never take shore excursions anymore.  Instead, I prefer to book most of my in-port activities on my own.   But this excursion looked too good to pass up, so we booked it online about a month ago.

It was well worth it.

Bananna trees as seen on our way to the falls.
Photo © 2010 Aaron Saunders 
 
Once again, Silversea impressed me with numerous little subtleties, like beach towels and complimentary water at the gangway.  I was halfway down the pier when I noticed that something was different:  no one harassed me for a picture as I left the ship..  Next to us, passengers aboard the Grand Princess were running the gauntlet of three photography “check points.”   Now, sometimes I don’t mind having my picture taken, but it always drives me nuts that I have to stand with some poor guy standing in a dolphin suit when it’s blazing hot outside, because frankly neither of us are having any fun.

 The long, winding path to the falls.
This one was known as 'San Francisco' due to its 
steep grade and switchback trail.
Photo © 2010 Aaron Saunders 

Photographically unmolested, we set off on our excursion, which involved a drive up the mountains of Grenada to a height of roughly 1,900 feet above sea level.  Upon reaching the entrance to the start of the hike, our guides – Dean & Dean – explained to us some of the many spices that are grown here.  Nutmeg, cinnamon, cocoa, it’s all available fresh on Grenada.  And it’s fresh like you wouldn’t believe.  Dean Number 1 cut a piece of raw ginger off for me to try; it was roughly the size of my fingernail, and I bit a small portion of it off.  It was the spiciest thing I have ever tasted, and would have been a great remedy for those with sore throats.  

 The bathing basins at the Seven Sister's Waterfalls.
Photo © 2010 Aaron Saunders 
 
We then began our hike down to the falls, which involved some surprisingly steep, slippery descents over very rugged terrain.  Participants were given a walking stick which helped immensely, and the Deans were careful to assist us personally over each spot.  Silversea also sends someone from the ship along on each excursion, which is a nice touch.  But perhaps most interesting of all was how well my fellow passengers got along.  Nearly everyone introduced themselves and struck up conversations, and all were assisting one another the entire time.  

 One of the professional fall jumpers takes a plunge.
Photo © 2010 Aaron Saunders 

It’s something I’ve notice onboard too: Silversea passengers are very outgoing and friendly.  I’ve met more people here in the past day and struck up more conversations with total strangers than on any ship I’ve ever sailed.  Everyone here clearly considers travel to be a necessity; many have sailed multiple times with the line and seem thrilled to be returning, and many are trying the Silver Spirit for the first time.  They also know exactly what they want, and will spend accordingly to get it.  But there’s not a hint of pretentiousness; only interesting passengers from all over the world.  In fact, as Kim said today, “I feel at home here.”

 St. George's, as seen from the pier.
Photo © 2010 Aaron Saunders 

Back on the excursion, we had time to swim in the falls for almost a full hour before retracing our steps up the hill, where we were served what is probably the most flavourful and fresh fruit punch I’ve ever had.  The excursion was listed as “Adventurous” in activity level, and it lived up to its description in every regard.  In the end, it was well worth the price of admission, and forced me to rethink my position on shipboard excursions.  It’s nice to see that Silversea offers a variety of shore activities for every budget and taste.  

The main street in St. George's; quiet on a Sunday.
Photo © 2010 Aaron Saunders 
 
All that hiking left us ravenous, so it was off to the pool deck for a casual lunch. I have to admit, I am impressed that an upscale line like Silversea still offers hot dogs and burgers for those who wish to partake in them.  I also appreciate that waiter service is even available poolside – another nice little touch that has me re-thinking how I cruise.  I often have to tell myself to sit down because I’m so used to running between different buffet lines on other ships in order to get what I want.

Perhaps that’s the best thing about this line and ship: I’m totally relaxed.  It’s only Day 2 – normally, it might take me until the fifth or sixth day to unwind.  Not here.  As I tucked into a shrimp cocktail (with the largest prawns I have ever seen) and washed it down with a refreshing Rum Punch, I almost felt overwhelmed with appreciation for the genuine kindness and absolutely jaw-dropping service the crew aboard the Silver Spirit have shown to us, and every guest aboard.

Tonight, it’s off to dinner in The Restaurant for the first time as we are here in St. Georges until 10:30pm.  Tomorrow, we visit the island I’ve waited for most: Bequia in St. Vincent & the Grenadines.  It’s off the beaten path, and you won’t find larger cruise ships calling here – just the five hundred or so lucky guests aboard Silver Spirit.

What will tomorrow bring?  Find out in the next instalment of From the Deck Chair: Live aboard the Silver Spirit.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your wonderful posts!

Julie said...

Tell Kim I would never have made it up that last hill without her! What an amazing trip we had. Thank you so much for posting.

Post a Comment